- According to the latest American Dental Association 2014 guidelines for patients with total joint replacements, no specific recommendations for antibiotic prophylaxis are suggested. Instead, clinicians are encouraged to use their clinical judgement. However, some practitioners still use the AAOS/ADA 2003 guidelines as these guidelines provide specific antibiotic regiment.
- Use the glucocorticosteroid replacement protocol for patients with glucocorticosteriod-induced adrenal suppression.
- Before prescribing analgesics to a patient, address the patient’s present medications to avoid adverse events associated with NSAID toxicity.
- Address possible medication-induced oral dryness.
- Any dental treatment plan needs to address a patient’s ability to achieve adequate oral hygiene and the dexterity necessary to place and remove full and removable partial dentures.
| Drugs/ drug|
See Medical Complexity Status for more information.