- Minimize stress, which may exacerbate symptoms of the disease.
- Avoid medication that may exacerbate or cause gastric ulceration, such as aspirin and NSAIDs.
- Be aware of the reduction in the efficacy of antibiotics, such as erythromycin and tetracycline, if they are given within 1 hour of antacids containing calcium, magnesium, or aluminum salts.
- Address potential anemia if there is a recent history of perforation.
- Address oral dryness due to medications if present.
- Palatal enamel erosion should be restored.
- Treat major aphthous stomatitis when present.
| Drugs/ drug|
See Medical Complexity Status for more information.
- Medical Disorders
- Kavitt RT, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of peptic ulcer disease. Am J Med. 2019 Apr;132(4):447-456
- Lana A, et al. Peptic Ulcer Disease. Lancet. 2017;390(10094):613-624.
- Reshetnyak VI, et al. Helicobacter pylori: Commensal, symbiont or pathogen? World J Gastroenterol. 2021;27(7):545-560.
- Sverdén E, et al. Peptic Ulcer disease. BMJ. 2019;367:l5495.